That's the question before you tonight. Not, "If I stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to all of the hours that I usually spend in my office every day and every week as a pastor?" The question is not, "If I stop to help this man in need, what will happen to me?" "If I do not stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to them?" That's the question. Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with a greater determination. And let us move on in these powerful days, these days of challenge to make America what it ought to be. We have an opportunity to make America a better nation.
-Martin Luther King, Jr. (from "I have Been to the Mountaintop").

Friday, November 4, 2011

Betting on the Muse

After talking to an old friend and sharing some of my new work I decided to take the plunge. November is National Novel Writing month, and, after one failed attempt under my belt I feel like I have a shot at at least making 50,000 words. November has become a new beginning for me, marking an array of changes that I didn't originally foresee. Life has an exciting prospect to it these days and I see characters everywhere--a blonde woman in high heels pushing an elderly man out of the way on the metro during rush hour, a well dressed gentleman sitting on the green bench in front of the fountain smoking a cigar worth more than my wristwatch, men walking around with bike helmets attached to their bags, women in yoga gear sitting in a full lotus--the possibilities are endless and life is a miracle I have not glanced before. Not to mention the occupiers, diplomats, presidential motorcades, homeless men hawking newspapers and waxing philosophical on the end of capitalism in america. It's all there for anyone willing to, as Bruce Springsteen penned, "case the promised land." I am grateful today for all of these things. Now off to the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment