That's the question before you tonight. Not, "If I stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to all of the hours that I usually spend in my office every day and every week as a pastor?" The question is not, "If I stop to help this man in need, what will happen to me?" "If I do not stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to them?" That's the question. Let us rise up tonight with a greater readiness. Let us stand with a greater determination. And let us move on in these powerful days, these days of challenge to make America what it ought to be. We have an opportunity to make America a better nation.
-Martin Luther King, Jr. (from "I have Been to the Mountaintop").

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday

I have walked your streets and I have lost and laughed. I have been formed and I am tired and the world still is. No matter what I think it keeps on issing anyway. The wind seen shaking green tree branches a man in a tie, no coat walking with his hands in his pockets, head down end of a day, end of a life, in the end he will die to everything and everyone he loves in this world, not only himself. Five-o-seven is the witching hour and it’s time to go but I have not finished writing what I cannot say because the more trips I make around the sun the more I realize that we’re all sham artists who never see the sun, the trees, the world in fullness living. We are united to it, and we wage war against it. If we truly saw we would have to change our ways and our mediocrity would not be enough to get us through the day anymore. The antidepressants wouldn’t work, we wouldn’t have to create protector gods, the addictions would drop in the light of the truth that we are alive and it is magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment